Find more of top sports nutritionist and pro-cyclist Lori Nedescu’s great articles, recipe ideas, and work outs at her blog, The Cadence Kitchen.
What the Kraut?!
I use Kraut (sauerkraut) (& Cleveland Kraut specifically) all the time.
- It’s DELICIOUS! Seriously, small batch fun (naturally) flavored krauts are a tasty addition to your meals.
- Nutrient dense! Meaning that kraut is high in vitamins & minerals (including B6, K, C & iron) and low in calories.
- Fermented foods (like kraut) are packed with natural probiotics to help with digestion.
- Lots of fiber to help add satiety and fullness to your meals which can aid in weight loss.
- Probiotics can also aid in increasing immunity, the vitamin C content also helps!
- Naturally gluten free & vegan!
Okay, you get it, kraut is a super healthful food. But knowing and consuming are two different things. I get soooo many posts from you guys saying ‘I bought some kraut after seeing it on your IG/blog!’ and that is AWESOME! Except it is almost always followed by ‘but what do I do with it…/what do I eat it with?’. My simple answer is ‘EVERYTHING’. Seriously. But here are my top favorite things to kraut & some of my favorite recipes that include kraut.
Top 5 Kraut Uses:
- Add it to sandwiches of any kind! Including grassfed or veggie burgers and uncured hot-dogs.
- Toss a generous helping into any salad.
- Scrambled Eggs. Add a big scoop before serving your eggs!
- Add a scoop to your macro bowl for a pop of tart flavor.
- Stuff a baked potato (or sw pt) with kraut!